This Statement of Faith provides only the essential basic truths which are the foundation of our unity.
1. The Bible (the 66 books of the Old and New Testaments) is God’s written word to man, free of error in its original manuscripts, wholly reliable in history and doctrine. Its divine inspiration has rendered the Bible incapable of teaching deception (infallible) and incapable of being proven false or mistaken (inerrant). Its inspiration extends to all its parts alike (plenary), includes the actual language form (verbal), and is the product of two free agents, divine and human (confluent). (Psalm 12:6; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:20, 21)
2. We believe in one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19; John 1:1-14)
3. We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit, was born of the virgin Mary, lived a sinless life, is true God and true man, and is the only Mediator between God and man. (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:18-25)
4. We believe that man was created in the image of God; that he sinned and thereby incurred physical death and spiritual death which is separation from God. (Genesis 1:27; Romans 6:23)
5. We believe in the death of the Lord Jesus Christ as a substitutionary sacrifice for our sins, and that all who believe in Him are justified on the grounds of His shed blood. (1 Peter 1:18-19, 2:24; Acts 16:31)
6. We believe that all who receive the Lord Jesus Christ by faith are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God. When a person is born again, he is baptized by the Holy Spirit into the Body of Christ (the Church), indwelt by the Holy Spirit, and sealed by the Holy Spirit eternally. (John 3:3-7; Romans 8:10-11; 1 Corinthians 12:13ff)
7. We believe the Holy Spirit also ministers in filling the Christian for the purpose of fruitful Christian service. This filling is a continuing experience conditioned upon confession of all known sin and yielding completely to God. Evidences of this filling are the fruit of the Spirit and Christian service that exalts the Lord Jesus Christ. (Galatians 5:22-23; Ephesians 5:18)
8. We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, in His ascension into heaven and in His present life there for us as High Priest and Advocate. (Psalm 16:10; Matthew 28; Acts 2:22-36)
9. We believe in the personal and bodily return of the Lord Jesus Christ to this earth. The same Jesus who left this earth will return in the same body in the clouds of the air to catch up the born-again Christians to meet the Lord. (Acts 1:11)
10. We believe that there are two church ordinances: baptism and the Lord’s Supper. (Matthew 28:19-20; Acts 2:41; Matthew 26:26-29; 1 Corinthians 11:20-34)
11. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the saved and lost. The saved shall appear in heaven at the judgment seat of Christ to receive rewards and to dwell with Him for all eternity. The lost shall be judged at the Great White Throne and be cast into eternal hell. (John 5:28-29; Ephesians 2:8-9; 1 Corinthians 3:11-15, 1 Corinthians 15)
12. Biblical Authority and Interpretation: We believe that the Bible, by precept and/or principle, addresses every moral issue. It speaks with final authority for faith and practice (2 Timothy 3:16-17). The Board of Elders is the church’s final interpretive authority on the Bible’s meaning and application (Hebrews 13:7, 17; 1 Corinthians 16:15-16; 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13). The Bible’s meaning will be understood as that intended by the author, and determined by the grammatical-historical-contextual method, adhering to a literal interpretation whenever possible, under the guidance and illumination of the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:17-18; 2 Timothy 2:14-15; 1 John 2:26-27). In determining its application to our own times, we will remain faithful to the principles inherent in the original meaning (1 Corinthians 2:12-16; 2 Timothy 3:13-15; 2 Peter 3:14-18). To ensure that the church’s facilities are used for purposes consistent with our beliefs, the elders will grant permission for their use on a case by case basis.